Thursday, January 09, 2014

Spinning faster

Why not spin faster?

Is it more work?  No, with my Alden Amos flies it actually takes less physical effort effort to spin length of yarn that it takes to spin the same length of yarn with the Ashford stock flyers. I have a different ratio, so I do not have to treadle any faster, and it takes less treadle effort. So, it comes down to a matter of drafting the yarn. Drafting faster is a matter of skill - not more skill, but of different skills.

Now, I am going to sit at my wheel for 3 or 4 hours.  Do I want to get up with 350 yards of yarn or with 1,600 yards of yarn?  What is the difference?  Slightly different wheel setup and holding my hands differently.  The physical effort is almost the same.

Spinning faster is a matter of working smarter rather than working harder.  Spinning faster is a matter of learning the craft so one can spin more with less effort.

No comments: