Wednesday, November 12, 2014

SIP, KIP, lanolin, and baby oil

Lots of folk get all riled up about baby oil, and they call me names.

However, do you notice how few of them offer to meet me a public place and prove that they can knit faster, or tighter?  Do you notice how few of them offer to meet me in a public space to prove that they can spin faster or finer?

I spin and knit in public on a regular basis, and am perfectly willing to make a point of being at a particular Stitches or fiber fair on a particular day.  We can meet up, and knit or spin face to face.

I would love to have somebody show me how to spin 5-ply gansey yarn faster.  I would love to have somebody show me how to knit ganseys better.  If you do not like the way I spin or knit, then show me a better way! And, how many of the folks who got all wound up about baby oil actually do oil and reoil their woolens with lanolin?  They do not.  Wool fat stains an uneven, ugly pee yellow, and they want pretty.

Show me better tools and I will upgrade in a flash. Think about it.  Somebody brings ups "skate boards" and the next day, I have incorporated skateboard bearings into my wheel. When somebody gives me graphite impregnated Delrin, the next day I have bearings from graphite impregnated Delrin. I am always willing to upgrade my tools.  Show me better skills and I will undertake to learn them as soon as possible.  I always expect my students to surpass me, so that I can learn from them.

 I believe that each generation should stand on the last generation's shoulders to see farther, and to reach higher. And, I believe that teachers are entitled to stand on their students shoulders to see farther, and to reach higher.

I spin because I want better yarn. People tell me, "Oh, I make prettier yarn!"  OK, but the folks who do make prettier yarn, do not make useful quantities of it.  And, I want useful quantities of better yarn. I want to make 8 pounds of prettier yarn as a project, not a career.  And, I always want better yarn, not just prettier yarn.

Mostly, I find that making better yarn involves inserting more twist into the yarn - that mostly means spinning finer, and finer. Spinning useful amounts of finer yarn mean inserting twist faster.  

10 comments:

Wendy said...

You seem confused and your responses to comments on your blog seem to be lacking in self-awareness.

No one is riled up about baby oil except you. What your readers are riled up about is your tendency to make statements about knitting, spinning, wool, (heck pretty much anything in the world) as if you are God calling down a commandment.

For example: You are quite pleased with yourself for spinning "faster and finer" than other spinners. However, being able to spin faster and finer does not automatically mean you are a better spinner than those who spin more slowly or heavier singles.

You are quite pleased with yourself that you can knit tighter and faster than other knitters. However, being able to knit tightly and quickly doesn't mean that your finished work is better than items knit more slowly or loosely.

YOU think spinning "finer and faster" is a benchmark proving the quality of your spinning. YOU think knitting tightly and quickly is a benchmark proving the quality of your knitting. I defy you to find a single, experienced knitter or spinner who actually agrees with you. Your lack of self-awareness compels you to argue that anyone who disagrees with you is ignorant, or uneducated in STEM skills, or trying to tell you that you are "doing it wrong." You constantly belittle women of skill, education and long-term standing in the fiber community by referring to them as "boss cows" and calling their work a status display, or the product of bored ladies of leisure. The only person you seem to harbor any respect for in the industry is Alden Amos. And yet you seem incapable of understanding why people might dislike and take issue with the tone of your posts.

You keep challenging people to meet up with you for a contest. There are many contests already established for knitting speed, spinning fine singles, spinning production, or the knitted quality of finished garments. Attend any Sheep and Wool event and you will find contests. Nothing is preventing you from entering those contests and proving your imagined prowess at knitting and spinning. And yet all you do is brag about your skills by writing on this blog. When you are challenged to show your work, or when another knitter or spinner calls your bluff and shows you their own work that disproves your proclamations, you ignore or obfuscate in order to avoid a true comparison.

Nobody even cares if you can spin faster or finer. If that's what you like to do, to get wool for your planned projects, then DO that. Likewise with the tight knitting. No one is telling you NOT to knit or spin in the way that pleases you. You are the master of your own craft, and you can do either as you please.

What people would like is for you to stop telling anyone who might be within range that your way is the best way. It is only the best way for YOU. There are no 10 commandments of knitting and spinning showing the One True Way.

Rejoice in the fact that you have found your preferred methods, but stop telling everyone else that if they don't do it your way, they are doing it wrong. You might be able to contribute useful knowledge to the community if you weren't so busy bashing and belittling everyone in it.



Anonymous said...

However, do you notice how few of them offer to meet me a public place and prove that they can knit faster, or tighter? Lots of folk get all riled up about baby oil and call you names because it's justified. How fast you spin or knit is a separate issue. Why are you comparing apples and oranges?

OK, but the folks who do make prettier yarn, do not make useful quantities of it. All that yarn I must be spinning must be useless quantities, you must be right. It's not like I've ever actually used it for anything, other than to ogle at it and watch it collect dust. WTF is that? Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Dude, they're making you look like a dick.

On the other hand, you are a dick. You have no clue. None. Whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

Every time someone in the guild asks you to demonstrate, you wriggle out of it.

Anonymous said...

"However, do you notice how few of them offer to meet me a public place and prove that they can knit faster, or tighter? Do you notice how few of them offer to meet me in a public space to prove that they can spin faster or finer?"

People have both challenged you and accepted your challenge, but you have either ignored them or declined to participate. Better to blather senselessly (and ungrammatically) on your blog instead, right?

Anonymous said...

"Lots of folk get all riled up about baby oil, and they call me names.

However, do you notice how few of them offer to meet me a public place and prove that they can knit faster, or tighter? "

What does one have to do with the other? Being a faster spinner doesn't make you a better or more knowledgeable spinner or knitter.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me while I fall about laughing. Pot meet kettle. Aaron, you are the main who makes all of these wild claims and yet we never see even photographic proof of your assertions let alone video. You are getting increasingly crazy. Dare you to print this.

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know I'll be using several paragraphs from your recent lanolin posts in my blog. I won't use your name or link back here; I don't want to embarrass you publicly. But it seemed fair to let you know.

Anonymous said...

How on earth does your brain work?

Why would anyone who's talking about your baby oil use propose spinning with you? What does your washing your clothes in baby oil have anything to do with people challenging you to a public spin-off? It's like your recent rant with lanolin but yet no one mentions dyes. WTF?

Please, for the love of all things holy, explain how on earth one thing has to do with the other. Or, at least admit that you've got ADHD because that would explain everything.

Anonymous said...

"However, do you notice how few of them offer to meet me a public place and prove that they can knit faster, or tighter? Do you notice how few of them offer to meet me in a public space to prove that they can spin faster or finer?"

Y'know, because we all can't come to you, how about you show off your awesome spinning skills with a video uploaded to your blog? That would be great to see you in action! Please?